Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Interview of Mr Gurdas Dua FIIPC, Hon APASP

Dear Readers,
For you I have Interviewed Mr Gurdas Dua, FIIPC,HPASP of Indore. I hope that you will learn a lot from his interview & photographs. A very gentle person by nature and always ready to help the newcomers. For any clarification or question you can contact him directly. His mobile no is-94250-32922 and - E-mail is: gurdasdua@gmail.com................
enjoy-Rajendra

How did you get started?
Since childhood I had great fascination for Photography, but could not afford to buy a camera till 1988, when I purchased Minolta XG-1 with normal lens. With this camera I joined a local camera club and started learning Pictorial Photography. And I never knew the journey ahead would be so long and so exciting. What equipment you currently use and why.
Do you think expensive equipments are necessary for good photography?
At present I am using Nikon D200 with AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens.
Expensive is a relative term. To some Nikon D 200 may look costly at the same time to some it may look cheap.
Necessity of expensive camera depends upon the application. If photography is only a hobby, a normal value 6 mega pixel camera is more than sufficient for you. But when photography is a profession, you will need to have high end camera like Nikon D3 or Nikon D700 with 18-200 2.8 lens or a medium or large format digital camera.
Which medium you prefer, B/W, Color Film or Color Transparency and why?
Few years back when I was working on analogue, I was using b/w film, color negative film, color positive (transparency) film as well as Polaroid and was working on all formats.
Small format- Canon T-90
Medium format – Mamiya
Large format- Sinar (With roll film, sheet film and Polaroid backs)
Depending upon the application and use of the image the medium and the format is selected.
You like conventional or Digital phototherapy why?
In present scenario Digital has gone way ahead analogue. Since so many years you may not have heard of any technological improvement or any innovation in film cameras or in any type of film. Whatever advancements and innovations are taking place are in digital only.
Those all camera, film and electronics manufactures who had nothing to do with digital e.g. Sinar, Lieca, Hasselblad, Fuji, Sony have now switched over to digital and every now and then trying to bring some thing new to end users.
So I feel this era has to be completely ruled by Digital Photo therapy.
Have you studied photography anywhere?
Since 1988 when I first picked up my camera and till today I am learning photography and I will be learning it till end of my life. But till now I have not done any formal training course from anywhere.
Can you name few photographers who influenced you or you find that you consciously or unconsciously copy his style?
I have always admired photographers like Ansel Adam, Wellington Lee, Yusuf Karsh and from our own land to name a few O.P. Sharma, C. Rajagopal, T. Kasinath.
Yes I wish to follow their style because they all are great masters, if I can copy just 10 % of their style it will be a great asset to me. But I think it is very difficult to copy any body’s style.
One should do his work with great understanding, enthusiasm, dedication and devotion so that one day his pictures should be recognized with his own style.
How would you rate Indian photographers with their International counterparts?
In current scenario of Photography as an art, many times I find Indian photographers are way ahead of the international photo artists. I think it is because Indian photo artists make images using traditional laws of pictorialism and use esthetics instead of modern trends which most of the international counterparts are now a days following.What are the most important points to consider when you are photographing anything?
1. Originality of the subject matter with a unique concept.
2. Choosing an interesting subject matter.
3. Composition, Background, Lighting.
4. Technique.
5. Presentation.
In this age of automatic cameras do you feel that basic knowledge of photography techniques is necessary for better photography?
What ever camera you use digital or analogue, manual or automatic you must have basic knowledge of photo techniques like relation between aperture and shutter speed, knowledge of depth of field as well as rules of composition and lighting etc.

Photography is your profession or only your hobby?
I started photography as hobby but later on somewhere in 1992 it turned into my profession when I started doing Industrial Photography for Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India.
At present I am mainly involved in Pictorial and Advertising Photography.
Pictorial Photography boosts my energy to carry on my profession well.
Which field of photography-Pictorial, Journalism, Nature, Fashion Still life or Advertising you like most and why?
From the core of my heart, I like Pictorial the most because I strongly feel that pictorial is mother of all branches of photography. And let me tell you frankly that whatever I have earned so far i.e. name, fame and money is only because of my practice in pictorial photography.
I also enjoy doing different branches like nature, wildlife, landscape, still life, portraiture, fashion, child, travel, advertising and industrial but always with pictorial approach.
In your view which is your best photograph and why?
It is really difficult to choose the best out of your own best works. It is just like choosing your own best finger out of five.
Every time out of my entire shoot, I select just one or two images, which I feel, are perfect in all regards. So I consider all my final images are my best images because they all are very close to my heart. I would not have made a print or a final image if they were not my best shots.
Besides photography what are your other hobbies ?.
Since last 30 years I am so much involved in photography, that now photography to me is my bread & butter, my entertainment, my duty and my religion. Whatever is related to photography like visiting different beautiful places, different cultures, meeting people and making friends are my other hobbies.
You have got prizes in many competition please let us know about few of them.
· Over 1000 Photographs Exhibited & over 150 Awarded so far in All India and International Exhibitions.
· Represented India in FIAP-KODAK International Photo Contest in 1993 at Belgium.
· Won Nikon International Photo Award '99 (Honorable Mention).
· Won 6th prize in the International AGFA net Photo Contest "Men At work"-2000.
· Won Highly Commended Award by Cannock Photography Society UK for Photograph “Pentomino Bugs Emerging”.
· Won Kodak Action Photographer of the year 2002 Award (Refer Oct. 2002 issue of Better Photography).
· Won Epson Color Imaging Award at Japan in 2004.
· Five times National Award Winner (National Contests organized by Govt. of India).
· Won Nominee Medal for Butterfly Art Foundation International Award.
· Had been member of Indian photographers delegation to Pakistan in March 2006.
Please tell us how and when you got your different honors.
· FIIPC : Fellow of India International Photographic Council, New Delhi, India. [2005]
· Hon. APASP : Hon. Associate of Photographer’s Art Society of Pakistan, Lahore. [2006]
· FBAF : Fellow of Butterfly Art Foundation, Trrisure, Karala, India. [2006]
· India International Photographic Council’s Platinum Grade Exhibitor. [2007]
· Federation of Indian Photography’s Three Star Exhibitor. [2002]
· Pakistan Salon Group of Photography’s Gold Star Exhibitor. [2006]
Have you written any book, discovered any process, then let us know about that?
I have written different articles on photography, few of them have been published in Better Photography and Smart Photography magazines.
· Creativity Through Available Light In Pictorial Photography –April 2000 issue of Better Photography.
· Pictorial lighting _ Basic Lighting issue of Best of Better Photography.
· Kaleidoscope- May 2006 issue of Smart Photography.
· Kaleidoscope- April 2007 issue of Smart Photography.
· Photograph titled ”Scavenger Vultures” published in Dec.-Jan. issue of National Wildlife Magazine, USA.
Tell us about future of photography in India.
In India weather in private, public or government sectors; I don’t think there is any home, office, industry, institution or any project, which does not need photography in their day-to-day operations. That is why all camera and photographic goods manufactures of the world see a great potential of their business in India. Today Photo goods market in India is of Rs.1,700 crores per annum and is increasing every year approximately by 11%. This is in white. Now you can think of the gray market.
So the future of photography in India is very very bright.
What you did or wish to do for budding photographers.
I have conducted many Photographic workshops for budding photographers. Few important ones are:
1998- CCI Indore- C-41 Processing
1999- Focus, Ahmedabad- Industrial, Pictorial, Product with E-6 & C-41 process live demo.
2001- PSJ Jabalpur- E-6 & C-41 Manual Processing.
2004- IIPC New Delhi- Pictorial & Portrait
IIPC Convention Indore- Digital.
2006VPA Vadodara- Pictorial & Studio Portrait
PSJ Jabalpur- Digital, Portrait & Photoshop
2007- Kala Color Lab, Banswara- Digital, Photoshop & Studio Portraits.
25th IIPC International workshop 2007, New Delhi.
2008- Indore Press club-Digital & Adobe Photoshop.
Jodhpur Photographic Society- Portrait, Digital & Photoshop.
Photographic Society of Sagar & Rotary- Digital & Photoshop.
Gopeshwar/ Chamoli (Uttranchal)- Basic Digital and Photoshop.
Is there anything in particular would you like to share with budding photographers?
The budding photographers should first have basic knowledge of camera and it’s working, digital, software like Photoshop and should understand & practice Pictorial Photography.
Without having primary and middle level education one should not jump directly to advanced photography.
There are no short cuts for success!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

such a nice blog for photography if you want same information to Join Creative Photography courses Visit Virtual Voyage College.Call Now-9300520220

Unknown said...

such a nice blog for photography if you want same information to Join Creative Photography courses Visit Virtual Voyage College.Call Now-9300520220

Photoshop tutorial